Frequently Asked Questions
1. What will be the minimum and maximum length of tenancies?
Minimum 3 years. No maximum.
2. What is the rent per sq. ft.?
The rent for Phase 1 will be:
- £6.00-£7.50 per sq ft (plus VAT) for light industrial units, depending on size, length of tenancy and other terms;
- £13.00-£15.00 per sq ft (plus VAT) for offices, depending on size, length of tenancy and other terms;
Rent will be payable quarterly in advance.
3. What is the service charge?
A service charge will be payable towards the cost of the maintenance and upkeep of the common areas of the development, and the provision of any common services, in proportion to the size of the tenant’s premises.
For the multi-tenanted office building in Phase 1, which will benefit from a greater range and quality of shared services, tenants are likely to have to pay an annual service charge of £4.50-£5.50 per sq ft.
Tenants of the light industrial units in Phase 1, which are generally more self-contained, are likely to have to pay around £1.00 per sq ft.
4. What does the service charge pay for?
For the multi-tenanted office building in Phase 1, the service charge will cover:
- Maintenance of the structure, exterior and common parts of the building;
- Cleaning of common parts;
- Lighting of common parts;
- Electricity to common parts;
- Mechanical and Electrical Services to common parts;
- Health & Safety.
All tenants will be required to pay a service charge for the cost of:
- Maintenance of access roads, courtyards etc;
- Estate lighting;
- Electricity for estate lighting, security systems etc;
- Boundary maintenance;
- Fees (Accounting and Property Management);
- Insurance (including public liability and property owners’ liability)
A separate insurance rent will be payable in respect of buildings insurance.
4. How can I view a property / unit?
Viewing is by arrangement with the Landlord’s agents, JLL and William Lean.
5. When will the phases be ready?
Phase 1 is scheduled to start on site in January 2017 to be completed circa January 2018.
No dates are yet available for the completion of Phases 2 & 3.
6. I’m not planning to re-locate in the short term, how can I get involved in research, innovation, production and collaboration in Oceansgate?
A Marine Business Technology Centre is planned as part of Oceansgate. It will support the marine sector and supply chain across Plymouth, Devon, Torbay, and Somerset local authority areas. A priority of the Technology Centre will be to help businesses to access in-sea test facilities for equipment, systems and processes. It is being delivered in partnership with Plymouth and Exeter Universities, PML and SAHFOS.
7. What are the public transport facilities like to Oceansgate?
There are excellent bus links to Devonport Dockyard from many parts of Plymouth, with buses from Plymouth City Centre running every 15 minutes. From the City Centre to the dockyard the bus is a short 10 minute journey. There is also a rail link direct from Plymouth City to Devonport station. The journey takes three minutes and the station is exactly one mile from Oceansgate.
8. Will I be able to access the docks / jetties if I locate to Phase 1 or 2?
It is intended that all tenants will have access to the water from Oceansgate. MoD approval is needed currently until the site is transferred to Plymouth City Council.
9. What are the benefits of having my business in an Enterprise zone?
Businesses that locate on an Enterprise Zone can access a number of benefits:
- Up to 100 per cent business rate discount worth up to £275,000 per business over a 5-year period
- 100 per cent enhanced capital allowances (tax relief) to businesses making large investments in plant and machinery in the Phase 3, waterside development
An application for business rate discount will be processed as part of the discussions about your tenancy.